Yarra prioritises sustainable and active transport, to help people move safely and sustainably through and within our municipality.
Council is committed to creating a city that is accessible to all, irrespective of levels of personal mobility, to support a fulfilling life without the need for a car.
It is an integral part of our climate emergency response to reduce transport emissions towards net-zero emissions by 2030.
Yarra City Council Plan 2021-2025, Strategic Objective five: Transport and movement
Maintaining the cycling network
Creating and maintaining safe conditions for active transport is important for everyone as is campaigning for better infrastructure. We share Streets Alive Yarra vision for a beautiful, liveable and accessible city. On this page is information on how you can contribute to improving cycling in Yarra and nearby council areas.
Streets Alive Yarra: Yarra has supported walking and biking for over 25 years – City of Yarra has a long history of supporting walking, biking, public transport, trees, and place making, dating back to when Yarra was created in 1994, demonstrating that council is responding to broad, long-term community support for such initiatives.
You can help by contacting agencies when you see a road hazard:
- Yarra City Council: Contact us | Damaged roads or footpaths. You can call Yarra Council on weekdays between 8am – 5pm: 03 9205 5555, Interpreter services: 03 9280 1940, After-hours: to report an emergency after 5pm: 03 9205 5555 and follow the prompts
- Snap Send Solve: use the app to send reports
- VicRoads: Report a road issue
Live, work or travel through Yarra and want to improve active transport? This can include daily things replacing car trips for a bike, cargo bike or ebike for shopping or on the school run and specific things, like road and path design, accessible, secure bicycle parking, road crossings, kerb transitions, road markings, path signage, dealing with bike lane obstructions, intersections and more. You can read about examples below. Remember, good things are possible
- Contact your local councillor,
- Contact us to raise an issue or get a agenda item on the Yarra Active Transport Advisory Committee,
- Read about items related to active transport at upcoming Yarra City Council meetings. Each general meeting agenda page includes information about how you can ask a question or make a submission about items before council.
Local councils and state government provide the ability for you to register to receive updates about council decisions, public consultation and upcoming projects.
- Yarra City Council: Your Say Yarra
- City of Boroondara: Engage Boroondara
- Banyule City Council: Shaping Banyule
- Darebin City Council: Your Say Darebin
- Hume City Council: Participate Hume
- City of Melbourne: Participate Melbourne
- Moreland City Council: Conversations Moreland
- City of Port Phillip: Have Your Say
- VicRoads: Community engagement – Pop Up Bike Lanes
- Victorian Government: Engage Victoria
Stay up to date
You can find out about campaigns, news, events, consultation and bicycle-themed information
- How do I join? Subscribe to our newsletter,
- Follow us on twitter and facebook,
- Browse our Resources pages,
- Send us a message,
- And of course, listening to our weekly 3CR radio programs + podcasts.
YarraBUG Advocacy Archive
At some point almost twenty years of submissions, council questionnaires and feedback will be collated here, most likely this information will published on a separate page in the near future.