On this weeks 3CR People Powered Radiothon edition, Sonya, Emelia, Steve & Chris chat about the great prize giveaways we have for Radiothon donors to this week’s show. See below for details for the YarraBUG Radiothon prize draw! We also talk about our weeks bike moments, Sonya interviews Janet Rice and Sean Murray about the amazing “Mega Bike” (or Bike-o-saurus) and we preview upcoming bicycle & transport events.
Call 3CR today (03 9419 8377) or donate online by June 14 and please state that your pledge is for YarraBUG Radio, so you can go into the draw for 6 great prize packs which include:
- Three “Six Six One” skater style helmets – these have foam inserts for 3 sizes.
- Two Infini lights (front & rear)
- Five Easyfit BBB bells -these lights & bells are wrap around ones & don’t require mountings.
- 10 x puncture repairs kits
- 2 bags of plastic bicycle pins, each bag contains 12 cute little multi-coloured pins. See image >>
- 2 sets of six CPF cycling posters
- Six North East Valley vouchers each worth $400
3CR Radiothon Giveaways donated by:
- Abbotsford Cycles: sponsors of YarraBUGs website for over 5 years, From Peter: We want Abbotsford Cycles to be as close to an old fashioned bike shop as you are likely to see! A bicycle shop based around servicing and repairing bikes, for people who use them for transport, fitness and fun. At Richmond train station – 27 Swan Street, Richmond, 3121, (03) 9429 6889
- Cycling Promotion Fund: Australia’s peak cycling promotion group, run by the Bicycle Industry Australia. Among other things, it publishes useful information for cyclists and would-be cyclists and the media and government. (03) 9818 5400
- North East Valleys Victoria: North East Valleys Food and Wine provide and market a unique, high quality wine and food experience for those visiting and living in the North East of Victoria.
Common Bike Pilot
The Common Bike Pilot has now come to an end and a forum is organised to discuss the future of Bike sharing in Melbourne. The forum will be held at the Lend Lease Gauge building in Melbourne’s Docklands (825 Bourke St, Docklands) from 2-5pm on the 15th of June. The afternoon will comprise presentations including a wrap up of Common Bike; student’s perspectives and designs on possibilities for future systems; viewpoints from Melbourne Bike sharing stakeholders and bicycle advocates; and discussions on these issues. The forum will be quite timely, being held 3 days before the cut off date for reply to tenders for the Department of Transport’s Public Bicycle Hire scheme.
Please RSVP to email@example.com by the 9th of June, and also let us know if you’d like to invite another interested party, or someone else from your organisation.
Women’s Social Ride (MTB) – next ride is Sunday June 14 at 9am
Meet at shop for an hour ride. Tuesday night ride – leave at 6.30pm from Trailmix. All welcome. Ride for about an hour. Riding now using lights! Trailmix: Lysterfield Park, you can find Trailmix lakeside in-between the Horswood Rd entrance and the dam wall. Ph: (03) 8790 4402, E: firstname.lastname@example.org
More information: http://www.trailmix.com.au/catalogue/news/social_rides
Rides for Beginners: Mums (& Dads) on Bikes Rides
Kids in bike seats welcome! Kids in trailers welcome! Kids on training wheels welcome! Kids on tag-a-longs welcome! Kids on own bikes welcome! Want to ride with your rides for fun, exercise and socialising? Join us on one of our easy rides to one of Melbourne’s many child-friendly destinations. Rides take place the first Sunday of every month. Rides leave from Jika Jika Community Centre, Plant Street, Northcote, Contact Kathy on 9489 4275 or 0410 667 634 or email@example.com.
National Climate Emergency Rally – 1pm, Saturday, June 13 State Library, Melbourne (march to Treasury Gardens)
6 months to Copenhagen and a crucial vote on the Carbon Pollution Law in Senate. Now is the time to show you care. Speakers and entertainment includes: Peter Marshall – United Firefighters Union, Emeretta Cross -Tuvaluan climate activist, David Spratt – author Climate Code Red, Greens leader Senator Bob Brown, Rod Quantock – Melbourne comedian and Taegen Edwards – Yarra Climate Action Now. Music by Melting Pot. Bring noise making instruments if you can. Please tell your family, friends and workmates. Download a leaflet
Pick up some flyers or posters for your area from the Climate Action Centre, Lvl 5, New Building, Trades Hall Council cnr Victoria and Lygon sts, Carlton South Volunteer to help on the day or to get some flyers and posters mailed to you: firstname.lastname@example.org, Interstate events: www.climaterally.org
Info: 03 9639 3660 or email@example.com
My Mountain MTB Shop Ride – 14 June
My Mountain are having another shop ride along on Yarra River on the 14th of June.
Meeting @ My Mountain 398 Lygon Street, Brunswick East, 9.30am for a 10am start, rolling down to the Yarra flats. They will be riding till 1.30pm and stopping for a drink and chat at the Fairfield Boathouse afterwards. All levels will be catered for, the ride will be breaking into small groups so everyone is of all of the same abillity. This is open to all levels of riders so feel free to bring along a friend for a MTB ride with a great bunch of friends
Bicycle Victoria’s Harry Barber – Live! – Thursday 18 June
Please circulate to your networks! Darebin BUG invites cyclists from all over Melbourne (particularly Councils adjacent to us) to join us in celebrating the bicycle boom and imagining the cycling city that Melbourne can become. Hear Harry Barber CEO of Bicycle Victoria. The Current Cycling Boom & Future Cycling City, Thursday 18 June at 7:15pm Preston Town Hall (Crn High St and Gower – enter from Gower St) For more information see www.darebinbug.org.au